Friday 5 April 2013

Nina Simone-Isn't it a Pity



Some things take so long
But how do i explain
Why not too many people can see
That we are all just the same
We're all guilty

Because of all the tears
Our eyes just can't hope to see
But i don't think it's applicable to me
The beauty that surrounds them
Child, isn't it a pity

How we break each other's hearts
And cause each other pain
How we take each other's love
The most precious thing
Without thinking anymore

Forgetting to give back
Forgetting to keep open our door
Isn't it a pity


-Nina Simone's Isn't it a pity. This song speaks so much truth. I love Nina, her voice-and her ability to make me cry!

2 comments:

  1. OMG drove to bloem this Easter with my Lil sis and we were listening to Nina Simone she is awesooome. "im goin back home" , "love me or leave me" , "mississipi godamm" some of the songs I looove n she played the piano too....clasicaly trained if I might add....

    she is indeed the "The High Priestess of Soul"

    ow btw there is a film about her life coming up soon, and there has been debate about the lead actress who is playing Nina. Even her family aint happy

    ow and its such a pity she died so far from home but she was a true artist a conscious one at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m sure the trip must have been awesome with Nina’s voice in the background. I love me some Nina Simone-her voice is distinct and powerful, I will forever be in awe of her ability to sing with so much feeling. She plays the piano so well, my heart dances at the sound of ‘You’ll never walk alone”, that piece moves me from a state of sadness to cloud nine. I agree fully that Nina is ‘The High Priestess of Soul’

    I’m overjoyed that a film about her is being made. We focus so much on current artists that we tend to forget about the souls that defined what being a true artist is about. We need to acknowledge Nina’s contribution to music, and educate people about her. I remember hearing ‘It’s a new day’ on an advert and people fell in love with the song unaware that it was a Nina Simone original.

    She was truly a conscious artist, singing about issues that others never dared to explore in her time. Thank you for this comment, it made me realize just how timeless Nina’s music has been.

    PS. My sister loves your writing.

    ReplyDelete