Monday 27 May 2013

Phenomenal Woman: Kelly Grevler

Kelly Grevler is a musician, a teacher and a music industry professional with an Honours degree. Her love for music and teaching has featured her on CNN's 'Inside Africa' for an initiative she started called 'Sidewalk Sessions' and her band, Lacey May, currently has their debut music video being aired on MK, MNET and MNET Series. Kelly is truly a Phenomenal Woman and her contribution to music is remarkable.






























1) How would you describe Kelly Grevler to a person who has never heard of you?

This is a difficult question, I would describe myself as an average person with a passion for music who loves to work hard and push for what I believe in. I am a tattooed musician/teacher/music industry professional with an Honours degree. 


2) Is music something you have always wanted to do?

Yes, music has always played a huge part in my life, when I was much younger, I had this indescribable love for all genres of music, I didn’t quite understand why some of my friends didn’t feel the same love and passion I did. I thought this was a normal feeling that everyone shared. But I discovered quite quickly that people have other passions. 


3) Where does your love (specifically) for the guitar stem from?

It was one of those life changing moments when I was 11, I saw a family friend playing an acoustic guitar one night after dinner, I recognised the sound of the guitar from songs I liked (at that stage I couldn’t even differentiate or identify the instruments I heard in songs) and I told my mom I wanted to play the guitar. I remembered my dad had an old nylon string, acoustic guitar in a storage room, which we eventually found and fixed up. I still use this guitar today. For a long time I didn’t understand the concept of practising so I didn’t see much improvement in my playing for a very long time but I just loved the sound a guitar makes. 


4) Were your parents always supportive of you studying music?

Both my parents were passionate about music, my dad used to play guitar however I don’t remember ever seeing him play, and he used to sing a lot, and very loudly. My mom was a ballet dancer and has a love for classical music. My father passed away many years ago and my mom has always supported the decisions my brother and I have made. We both gravitated towards the music industry at a very young age. My mom took me to my weekly guitar lessons and my brother to his bass guitar lesson, she came to every single gig my brother and I played when we were in a high school rock band, and it was never a question that this was to be our career path. Her unconditional love, support and encouragement continues on a daily basis. She is such an inspiration to me.


5) What made you pursue further studies in music after your NQF4 Higher Diploma in Guitar and Performance?

Just playing guitar is not enough; I love the music business side of the industry and always felt it necessary to understand both sides in order to make something of my life. I have always wanted to be a musician as well as an academic but didn't know that this was a possibility. While enrolled in the BA (Hons) Music Business degree programme at the Campus of Performing Arts, i learned that this is possible. I plan to enroll for a Master’s program next year, while gigging, teaching and working full time in the music business side of the industry. 


6) Is teaching something that is close to your heart?

I started off teaching just 1 little girl from home in 2008, I loved our lessons together and learned so much from her. I was then offered a guitar teaching job at an all-girls private school in 2010, I still teach there twice a week and we all have such a great time. I will never give up the teaching guitar, no matter how busy I get with my full time job. I also teach and assist with administration on Saturday Mornings at the college I previously studied, for their part time music courses. I just want to give someone the same motivation and opportunity I was lucky enough to get. 


7) How did the “Sidewalk Sessions” in the Maboneng Precinct begin-and what progress have you made so far?

When my boyfriend Justin and I moved to downtown Johannesburg, we noticed a lot of very young ladies playing in the streets all day and into the night. I had no idea where they lived or if they went to school. On Valentine’s Day there was an event in the Maboneng Precinct which Justin and myself volunteered to assist with. All the little girls were there. I went up to them and I asked if they liked music and they said yes! They told me they like Rihanna and Nicki Minaj! I asked if they like the guitar-they said yes! When I told them I would give them a free guitar lesson that Sunday, they were all very excited and all pitched up to our very 1st lesson. We started off with 1 guitar. We now have 5 that have been generously donated-we also have a white board so I can make notes for them. Even with so few resources their progress is amazing. 


8) What has been the biggest highlight of your career?

It’s a very strange thing, but I recently submitted my Sidewalk Sessions story on a Tattoo page on Facebook called ‘Tattoo Acceptance in the Work Place” (as I have 10 tattoos including a full sleeve) and I am a full time employee at a record label, I work with young children and they all love my tattoos. My story was posted, and within 24 hours the picture and description had + 5000 likes, over 300 shares and hundreds of amazing comments about my initiative. My students and I have also been interviewed on CNN’s International award winning program ‘Inside Africa.’ My band Lacey May has been signed to the Universal Music Group and our debut single was playlisted on 21 radio stations nationwide, our debut music video is still being aired on MK, MNET and MNET Series which is pretty great. I am just so grateful I get to do what I love every day. 


9) What can we expect from Kelly Grevler in the future?

I plan to release a Lacey May album, write more songs, gig more often and push my original music locally as well as internationally. I will start preparing for my Master’s degree while working at the record label full time, teaching at the private school, teaching at the music college on Saturdays, and running (and expanding) Sidewalk Sessions on Sundays. 


10) What advice would you give to a young girl who would also like to study music but is afraid of the lack of opportunities in the industry?

The only advice I can give is Hard Work Never Fails. I have experienced this first hand.There is NO shortage of opportunity in the music industry if you want it badly enough.

1 comment:

  1. just passing by o return the love amazing page you have here. you got yourself a new follower. let keep in touch. bisouuu

    ReplyDelete